Tuesday, May 22, 2012

So it begins.

 While working in Manhattan 12 hours a day, 5 days a week and occassional weekends, I sought any excuse possible to get outside. Thus began my commitment to 'scaping. With limited landscape oppertunity, I instead learned to appreciate the beautifull architectural bridges of central park or ornate detail on churches and historical structures. One weekend I was invited to Roosevelt island as a result of my interest in lighthouses which led to a summer's worth of watercolor studies repeatedly seeking places where the historical sentry watches over the sea. Never quite satisfied with the medium of watercolor, I thought to paint with oil, begining with the lighthouse in Gig Harbor resulting in these two plein air works. GHLH#1- 6"x12" (above) and GHLH#2-9"x12" (below) completed in 2011.

     Although I enjoy an adventurous summer outdoors doing plein air studies, the 'scapin' includes both landscape and cityscapes with my favored lighthouses bridging somewhere in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send any questions or inquiries about the artwork to : gypsieartist@hotmail.com